As of last night at approximately 11:26, The Unhappening of Genesis Lee is DONE. WOOT! And this time, I mean done for real. As in, so done I'm jumping into the querying trenches. At any given moment, this is how I feel about that:
And now, in case you care at all, here are some facts about my book! I was tagged by Melissa Brady King for this meme.
1. What is the name of your book? The Unhappening of Genesis Lee
2. Where did the idea for your book come from? After visiting my mother, who is very nostalgic about certain heirlooms, my husband commented it would be cool if we could store our memories of objects IN those objects. And so the story was born.
3. In what genre would you classify your book? YA science fiction
4. If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition of your book, who would you choose? Kristin Kreuk as Gena, and Jeremy Sumpter (aged somewhere between Peter Pan and now) as Kalan
5. Give us a one sentence synopsis of your book. A 17-year-old girl who stores her memories in external objects must hunt down a memory thief before she is robbed not only of all her clues, but her entire life.
6. Is your book already published? Not yet. :)
7. How long did it take you to write your book? I wrote the first draft in 6 weeks during June/July of 2011, and revisions took about a year.
8. What other books within your genre would you compare it to? (Or, readers of which books would enjoy yours?) It's sort of a mix of the mystery in Across the Universe and White Cat.
9. Which authors inspired you to write this book? Ever since I read The Giver by Lois Lowry as a kid, I have been fascinated with memory. I always felt there was a story lurking inside me that would deal with that-- it just took about 20 years to come out. :)
10. Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book. Well, it involves a society that stores memories in jewelry called Links, because their brains literally can't store them anymore. Also, there's a bouncy-ball-collecting, curly haired cutie of a boy. My main character has a pet snake named Hades. Um...anything else? :)