There is some debate in the world over whether there are truly any unique stories anymore. People talk about things like the seven basic plots, and how all of us writers just recycle and steal from each other. And really? Who am I to say otherwise? After all, I did steal my idea for Devolutionaries from an episode of Fringe.
Writers-- Are we all just a bunch of thieves?
Shallee ● Oct 29, 2010
BUT. Who says that throws originality out the window? Maybe most stories really do follow the seven basic plots, but that doesn't mean we're all writing the exact same story. Even if twelve of us had one idea, we'd come up with twelve different stories with different characters, settings, themes, and probably even genres.
Besides, Shakespeare himself stole his ideas from other writers. And if the Bard can do it, I'd say that sort of gives the rest of us permission.
So, my friends, now I'm curious. Where have you "stolen" your writing ideas from?
And now, just for fun, here's the Reduced Shakespeare Company's hilarious take on Shakespeare's theivery in his comedies.
Search this blog
Sign Up for my Newsletter!
Be the first to get exciting news about books and events! You won't get spammed-- newsletters will come a few times a year. Click here to sign up!
- How to Write Strong Character Relationships
- 5 Tips for Writing Memorable Romantic Scenes
- How to create a character's personality
- How to Write a Character's Voice-- Attempting to Define the Undefinable
- Turn an Idea into a Killer Story Concept: Go Big or Go Home
- How to Dump Info without Info-dumping-- Writing Lessons from Inception
- Banned Books Week Review: The Handmaid's Tale
- The Name Game-- Keeping Character Names Consistent in Your Novel
- Mustaches for Maddie-- a Giveaway for a Brave Little Girl
- Using Family History for Novel Fodder
- ► 2014 (23)
- ► 2013 (30)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (117)
- Happy Halloween...
- Writers-- Are we all just a bunch of thieves?
- Remembering the Storyteller
- Sci Fi-- It's not just for nerds anymore
- Aspiring Author Interview!
- Double Book Review: I Am Not a Serial Killer and M...
- What's Your Writing Routine?
- Thanks and Awards
- Devolutionaries-- First 250 Words Blogfest
- First 250 Words Blogfest on Saturday!
- Beauty in Layers: Writing Powerful Scenes
- How to Tell When a Scene Isn't Working
- Good and Bad
- Getting Ready for Rewrites
- Hundred Awesome Followers Winners!
- Last Day!
- ▼ October (17)